Thursday, September 03, 2015

Keith Richards Has Strong Opinions

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards - who will release his third solo album later this month - doesn't much care for rap or heavy metal. And he refers to The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" as "a mish-mash of rubbish".

Richards says that for modern rock bands, "getting the syncopation is beyond them. It's endless thudding away, with no bounce, no lift, no syncopation."

I may be an old fart who wants you off my lawn, but I agree. What little rock I hear these days on the car radio (and I realize that's an extremely small and unrepresentative sample of what actually exists) is devoid of groove; it doesn't swing.

Richards's "Crosseyed Heart" - his first solo album in 23 years - will be released on September 18.

1 comment:

laura k said...

(and I realize that's an extremely small and unrepresentative sample of what actually exists)

This is why you're not entitled to pass judgement. Back in the 80s, we used to say the same to friends who stopped listening to new music in 1971.

It's true what's on the radio is mostly garbage. But that's been the case for a very, very long time.