Saturday, June 25, 2005

"Maybe I'll Enlist If There's Another 9/11"

Some quotes from young Republicans, asked in August 2004: "Would you be willing to put on the uniform and go to fight in Iraq?"

Vivian Lee, 17, Los Angeles, CA:
Frankly, I want to be a politician. I'd like to survive to see that. ... As long as there's a steady stream of volunteers, I don't see why I necessarily should volunteer.
Chris Cusmano, 21, Rocky Point, NY:
If there was a need presented, I would go.
Tiffanee Hokel, 18, Webster City, IO:
I think I could do more here. We don't have to be there physically to fight it.
Matthew Vail, 25, Huntsville, AL:
I'm in college right now, but who knows? The bug may get me after college.
This was almost one year ago. ... I wonder how many of these young people enlisted. Someone should do a follow-up.

Meanwhile, today's New York Times reports that Bush has asked the major networks to broadcast a speech he will give on Tuesday at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC. According to the Times, "the speech is timed to mark the first anniversary of the end of the American occupation and the transfer of power to the Iraqis."

End of the occupation? ... Transfer of power?

Did I miss something?

1 comment:

laura k said...

...who knows? The bug may get me...

Maybe I'll play guitar in a coffee house, or drive cross country. Or maybe I'll just feel like being blown up by a car bomb. So many choices, who knows what I'll feel like doing!